Sunday, October 25, 2009

Getting Ready for IVF (In Vitro Fertilization)

Hi everyone. Our journey to having a little bundle of joy is one we are still on. I’ve decided to start this blog somewhere towards the latter part of our journey (i.e. I’ve skipped the months I went on fertility pills/shots and went through IUI – Intrauterine Insemination). We’re now in the part where we’ve decided to try out IVF (In Vitro Fertilization).

First off, a number of people have asked me why I named this blog "Lucy in the Making". Well, Lucy is the name my hubby and I have always liked for a girl. So if we're ever lucky to have a daughter, that's what we would name her. What happens if we end up having a boy? Hmm, would a change in blog name be in order? Ha ha, let's see....First things first.....

We’ve come to Lee Women’s Hospital (Division of Infertility) in Taichung, Taiwan for the IVF procedure. This clinic was recommended to us by my OB. Aside from being referred by my OB, we also opted for this clinic because we heard their success rate was higher than other clinics in other countries (50% vs 40%), plus they are much cheaper (around Ps250K vs Ps500-700K in other clinics). Before coming here, I communicated to them via email to find out more info about them, the procedure, the costs etc. Their website is also very helpful. Click here for more details. If you wish to email them, their email address is: ivftaiwan@gmail.com

You can address the email to Dr. Lee or Mr. Hung.

I had to prep myself a month before going there. There are meds you will need to take a month before. The clinic will send you their bank info, and you wire them about Ps10,000 to cover the costs of the meds. Within 10 days, you’ll receive the meds via courier. Some meds are to be taken orally, some are to be injected. At this point, it’s probably good to learn to inject yourself in the tummy (or have your husband learn), because you’ll be doing injections practically everyday. I went to my OB and she taught me how. But I also found a link that I was very helpful. Click here.

There are a number of videos on Youtube which are helpful too (just search for subcutaneous or intramuscular injections, Lupron injections). Here's a sample:

- Lupron injection (subcutaneous)

Go to the drugstore too and buy your syringes. You’ll need to get the ones usually used for insulin. Get the ones tat already come with needles, so you can just dispose them after. I get the U-100 Insulin, 1cc, 29G.

3 comments:

  1. More or less, how much did you spend all in all, for ivf and staying in taiwan? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The IVF in Taiwan was about Ps300K. Hotel (we stayed there for 6 wks), airfare, food etc was about Ps100K. So total about Ps400K.

    ReplyDelete